09.10.09
.they started school this morning.
.and they seemed so very small.
.as I walked there beside them.
.in the Kindergarten hall.
.and they seemed so very small.
.as I walked there beside them.
.in the Kindergarten hall.
.and as they took their place beside.
.the others in the class.
.i realized how all too soon.
.those first few years can pass.
.the others in the class.
.i realized how all too soon.
.those first few years can pass.
.remembering, I saw them as.
.they first learned how to walk.
.the words that we alone made out.
.when they began to talk.
.they first learned how to walk.
.the words that we alone made out.
.when they began to talk.
.these little girls so much absorbed.
.in learning how to write.
.it seems as though they must have grown.
.to girlhood overnight.
.in learning how to write.
.it seems as though they must have grown.
.to girlhood overnight.
.my eyes were blurred by hastily.
.i brushed the tears away.
.lest by some word or sign of mine.
.i mar their first big day.
.i brushed the tears away.
.lest by some word or sign of mine.
.i mar their first big day.
.oh how I longed to stay with them.
.and keep them by the hand.
.and keep them by the hand.
to lead them through the places.
.that they couldn't understand.
.that they couldn't understand.
.and something closely kin to fear.
.was mingled with my pride.
.i knew they would no longer be.
.babies by my side.
.was mingled with my pride.
.i knew they would no longer be.
.babies by my side.
.but they must have their chance to live.
.to work their problems out.
.the privilege to grow and learn.
.what life is all about
.and I must share my little girls.
.with friends and work and play.
.they're not babies anymore --
.they're in Kindergarten today.
.to work their problems out.
.the privilege to grow and learn.
.what life is all about
.and I must share my little girls.
.with friends and work and play.
.they're not babies anymore --
.they're in Kindergarten today.

1 comment:
Aawww...I cried. What a sweet poem. Their classroom looks great. They are going to have such a great year. You will be amazed at how much they learn!
Post a Comment